• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Dru

Dru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

So I'm about to job change. I understand there has been expressed concern for the lack of stats/job points etc that would make a Battle Priest viable as damage dealer, solo or otherwise.

I created my aco expressly for the purpose of going Battle Priest, though, and since we get a skill reset, I'm really wondering why it's such a bad idea. I do pretty great now solo as a Battle Aco, to be honest. I'm pulling out 2k max HITS with my Holy Hammer, and crits as high as 900ish. This is in less than decent gear too.

If the skill tree isn't different at all, why wouldn't someone just continue along, pumping STR, and balancing VIT and INT out to their desired cap? STR seems to be wonderful for the class, every single point adds noticeable attack power. After class change, HP jumps up noticeably, and with the 120ish atk Gold Coin mace, I can see very competitive damage coming from this class.

Is anyone else considering staying as battle?

Has anyone actually tried Battle Priest in this version of RO and can comment on how effective or useless the class becomes?

If I continue as Battle, I'll post some results, though I expect it to go great. Right now I smash through mobs pretty fast, only downside are the 100 or so mana pots I keep onhand while grinding. Not much different than what other melee would be using if they had easier access to better hp pots.
  • Timothymt, Inteniaeffori, CiaraLece and 1 other like this

#2 soba

soba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

if you plan to go solo that's ok i guess. 

Mimir's  top level #2 (probably gonna be #1 soon) priest is actually battle build. He levels at vs ktobias.

It's just that you'll be utterly useless in party, I'd rather a decent mage, than a battle priest in a party. 

Still, if you like Priest and you expect to be soloing 100% than battle priest is the only way to go.

ign: soba

class: Priest 

level: 48

guild: BOSS

server: Mimir

#3 needaname

needaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Can you share your stats? I'm doing battle acolyte at the moment at 24 lvl. Have str around 25, int 20 and vit 10. I'm having problem in farming :S what should I add next? I have holy hammer lvl 4 at the moment

#4 soba

soba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

your stats seem to be fine. If you like you can add a few more points in vit. Max holy hammer asap.

Be sure to check vk's battle aco guide btw

#5 vk135

vk135

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

You see why I didn't go battle priest is that if you go on this route you will practically just be an acolyte in a priest's clothing. With the limited skill points you will only get 10 more skill points after change job (5 lvl + 5 item mall skill). BUT, yeah, no matter what they say there will always be people who would prefer soloing and if you don't mind being without maxed/usefull priest skills then go ahead and stay BP. I guess you could go 6 heal, 10 bless, 10 hammer, 5 mace, 10 angelus, 3 teleport. 

Note: If you are a ruby user I highly recommend doing the gold coin weapon. That 110+ attack +40% matk is a hella useful. I might even reset soon since I really am getting no party even from my guild when I'm online.

Server: Poring
Characters: Violaire - Battle Priest ( Alfheim)

Selling Battle Priest items on Alfheim! http://valkyrieupris...ter/#entry31233

#6 Dru

Dru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm sitting at 44 STR, 25 VIT, 21 INT, maxing int at 25 and going to continue to pump STR. Level 38. I solo pretty much everything, working on a mdef gear set for Chocomons, because while relatively easy to kill, if they get a cast off before you can finish them, it usually ends bad.

I built up STR first of course, and slowly added VIT and INT in that order.

My primary concern as far as a full healer support build (which is why I have avoided it) is the questionable ability to solo effectively. I'd hate to spend so much time developing this char, as well spending RL cash on it, for it to just sit idle being completely dependent on parties. Also, bkue pots are cheap, and being able to self buff, heal myself effectively, and dish out sweet hammer damage, it's probably the best solo class available right now in terms of self sustainability.

As it was said above though, class depth ends very early. I'm assuming we get a slight HP boost when we change class to Priest, which is some incentive, but there really is a lack of new abilities for the Battle Priest playstyle.

#7 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

thing about battle priest is not so much the limited skill points and stat points (which will always be spread thin as a battle priest), it's the game design.. weapons available, defense from armor available, limited skills available, AGI does not give as much flee in this game, etc.

Even if you take the time to get the BEST possible items for a battle priest, a knight with mediocre gear and 2h  quicken will still be putting out more damage because 2h quick is 60 aspd and 28% crit just like that. Your heals as a battle priest will always be kind of weak compared to a real priest, and since your heals don't heal as much you'll burn through SP healing twice as fast. Which is okay I suppose, since buying blue pots and healing is much cheaper than buying healing potions.

If you are doing a battle priest I guess I would recommend somethign like...

• 2x Rosary with 2% hp absorb and 2% stun, card them with +4 or +6 crit cards preferably, or otherwise aspd..   
  • Bapho pet for 2% hp absorb
  • Overupgraded coin weapon - +7 or more, then put either like three 4% stun cards, or three +15atk drake cards
  • Maneau with either three +4 flee cards, or three +7 aspd cards
  • Overupgraded armor - you need the def (+5, +6, or more)
  • Many different shields with Elemental Resist % stacked in them (earth resist shield, shadow resist shield, etc, swap depending on what you are fighting)
  • Shoes with three +4 crit cards

The only way I can see a priest doing okay damage is with crit cards stacked, like 12% crit from cards in boots (which would sacrifice like 1000-1200 hp), and stack accessories full of +6 crit% cards (could potentially get 36% crit from ... 6x  6 crit cards). So you could potentially get 48% crit from cards alone, and maybe boost it up to 52 or 53% with the crit from your STR. However those crit cards are prohibitively expensive unless you have like 30 million zeny burning a hole in your pocket.

Then you have the flee vs aspd decision for your maneau, if you could get three 4flee cards that woudl be like 12% flee, otherwise if you're focusing on damage just get three 7aspd cards. Don't under estimate ASPD (or agility) for a melee dps class, each point of ASPD doesnt seem very significant but when you get a bunch the difference is pretty huge. Unfortunately battle priest doesn't really have the points to spend on agility up unless you want to sacrifice something else.

For weapon you could get three 4% stun cards for 12% stun which might be kind of interesting, or you could jsut get the +15 atk cards which would help your dps.

Even if oyu had all that amazing gear... it's kind of a waste on a priest, might as well take your 30 million zeny worth of crit cards and make a 2H knight and tear some shit up 100x better. When the job cap is raised to 55 it would work a little better.

• ixion, iPhantomhives, Akia and 3 others like this

#8 vk135

vk135

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

thing about battle priest is not so much the limited skill points and stat points (which will always be spread thin as a battle priest), it's the game design.. weapons available, defense from armor available, limited skills available, AGI does not give as much flee in this game, etc.

Even if you take the time to get the BEST possible items for a battle priest, a knight with mediocre gear and 2h  quicken will still be putting out more damage because 2h quick is 60 aspd and 28% crit just like that. Your heals as a battle priest will always be kind of weak compared to a real priest, and since your heals don't heal as much you'll burn through SP healing twice as fast. Which is okay I suppose, since buying blue pots and healing is much cheaper than buying healing potions.

If you are doing a battle priest I guess I would recommend somethign like...

• 2x Rosary with 2% hp absorb and 2% stun, card them with +4 or +6 crit cards preferably, or otherwise aspd..   
  • Bapho pet for 2% hp absorb
  • Overupgraded coin weapon - +7 or more, then put either like three 4% stun cards, or three +15atk drake cards
  • Maneau with either three +4 flee cards, or three +7 aspd cards
  • Overupgraded armor - you need the def (+5, +6, or more)
  • Many different shields with Elemental Resist % stacked in them (earth resist shield, shadow resist shield, etc, swap depending on what you are fighting)
  • Shoes with three +4 crit cards

The only way I can see a priest doing okay damage is with crit cards stacked, like 12% crit from cards in boots (which would sacrifice like 1000-1200 hp), and stack accessories full of +6 crit% cards (could potentially get 36% crit from ... 6x  6 crit cards). So you could potentially get 48% crit from cards alone, and maybe boost it up to 52 or 53% with the crit from your STR. However those crit cards are prohibitively expensive unless you have like 30 million zeny burning a hole in your pocket.

Then you have the flee vs aspd decision for your maneau, if you could get three 4flee cards that woudl be like 12% flee, otherwise if you're focusing on damage just get three 7aspd cards. Don't under estimate ASPD (or agility) for a melee dps class, each point of ASPD doesnt seem very significant but when you get a bunch the difference is pretty huge. Unfortunately battle priest doesn't really have the points to spend on agility up unless you want to sacrifice something else.

For weapon you could get three 4% stun cards for 12% stun which might be kind of interesting, or you could jsut get the +15 atk cards which would help your dps.

Even if oyu had all that amazing gear... it's kind of a waste on a priest, might as well take your 30 million zeny worth of crit cards and make a 2H knight and tear some shit up 100x better. When the job cap is raised to 55 it would work a little better.

such an expensive build XD  but yeah.. I agree with what Sassy said

Server: Poring
Characters: Violaire - Battle Priest ( Alfheim)

Selling Battle Priest items on Alfheim! http://valkyrieupris...ter/#entry31233

#9 needaname

needaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Battle acolyte is so hard. Basically no one wants a battle aco in their party. I think I will open up a new swordie. 

#10 Dru

Dru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I wouldnt say its very hard, being able to heal and buff myself is great, its just repetitive grinding solo, but it's like that with any class. I don't have problems with parties, though I usually decline so I only have to burn mana pots on myself.

It was a grindfest getting to priest, but if you've spent any amount of time playing iRO, this is NOTHING. I must have invested a couple of years on that version.

Bonus tip: save the free quest-given job/exp manuals for the last few levels before you job changed.

#11 needaname

needaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

@dru what is your stat recommended for battle aco? 

#12 Dru

Dru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

I decided for 40+ str, 20+ vit and 20+ int. Now that I hit Priest, going to cap int and vit and 25 and pump the remaining with str till I hit the level cap.

Gear fills in enough, at least while the level cap is still low.

After the cap is raised I'll pump alot more into str, some into vit and a little more into int.

Sadly AGI looks to be pretty damn useless, for us at least. More ASPD is great, yeah, but flee in this game is horrible atm. STR gives crit and a good atk boost, while AGI doesnt seem to pump up flee much at all.

I would not be surprised to see some kind of stat buff eventually, as part of rebalancing after more content patches, because right now some of the stats really need some love.

#13 Dru

Dru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

Then again who knows, I could be wrong and mobile RO could simply be marginalized. From what I see of how the cash shop works, ROVU seems like it's probably never going to taken very seriously by the developers, compared to Ragnarok Online.

:shrug: time will tell.

#14 dreamdragon

dreamdragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I am still in battle form right now lvl 40 60%, don't get too much time to play

I started like you with balanced ratio 1:1:1 for str vit int... it seems awesome when lvls are low. Once you are lvl 20+ going for the bears you will find out that no matter how much you put for vit, mobs just hit you hard...

[because you are not knights]

so what i did is leave the vit alone... and get a shield with normal -5% cards(those are cheap) (i have 3 27 shields, -15% shadow,earth,poison)

now i am soloing shadow mobs since i have a mace +6 with +15% shadow damage... with a shield -15% shadow + -10% damage (lvl1 angelus) solo orc hero is piece a cake... (you still have to run away for the fire rain(?))

builds are 10 holy hammer, 10 blessing, 7 heal(450-510), 3 sp recover, 1 agi up, 5 mace, 

2 rasory is awesome, holy hammer gives somewhere around 2100-3000 for shadow mobs... so you heal by almost 80-120 per holy hammer (vs orc hits me 50-60, vvs somewhere around 100, vs legend orc somewhere around 150)

now i am getting the coin weapon, 4% sp recovery... so i am stacking up +sp cards everywhere i can...

yes, now i won't do crazy damage as lvl 30 for bear king...

and i won't kill mobs as fast as wizards do...

but you can basically solo all the mvps... (how nice that is... coz people just don't wanna group up with battle priest)

I am now trying to change to IS priest, get somewhere around 70 int, with whatever str i can get

try holy hammer + holy light with lvl 7(heal, this should give me somewhere heal +1000hp)

and get somewhere 2500-3000sp, so 4% recovery really recovers my sp usage... 

(12+10+100) for 10 seconds...

keep soloing .... lol... 

#15 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Rather than vvvs mobs, I'd like to hear about any trials any BP have tried for baphomet solo runs with stacking anti shadow and resists. 

#16 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Rather than vvvs mobs, I'd like to hear about any trials any BP have tried for baphomet solo runs with stacking anti shadow and resists. 

that;d take forever lol.

Battle Priest doesn't work

it might work to level 30, it might work to 40, but eventually you will see... No group will want you, your heals suck, your dps sucks, so what's the point. Just make a swordsman if you want to "battle" things. 

#17 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

that;d take forever lol.

Battle Priest doesn't work

it might work to level 30, it might work to 40, but eventually you will see... No group will want you, your heals suck, your dps sucks, so what's the point. Just make a swordsman if you want to "battle" things. 

Yeah I bet it would take forever lol, slow low dmg melee physical and one holy light skil spam with constant spam on self heals. The pot cost would outweigh the utility of it lol. Would be interesting if anyone tried though. 

#18 soba

soba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I bet it would take forever lol, slow low dmg melee physical and one holy light skil spam with constant spam on self heals. The pot cost would outweigh the utility of it lol. Would be interesting if anyone tried though. 

isnt Avarriel in your guild jinko? Lvl 47 battle priest?

#19 Nagisachan

Nagisachan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCandyland

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

I've seen Avarriel around. He/She usually hits 3k per hammer and around 400+ regulars...I think that's pretty strong >.< I find it an inspiration that there's actually a really high level battle priest around, provided he/she didnt just leech. I'm currently a 31 battle aco but I actually feel like staying battle even after priest mostly because I prefer soloing and healing + buffing peoples is kinda tiring I guess :( or maybe at least hybridish with high int and str and the coin slash weapon for a good balance of atk and matk power.

#20 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

isnt Avarriel in your guild jinko? Lvl 47 battle priest?

Yes he is, I don't think he's tried it either. And no nagi he didn't leech, I believe he solos pretty much 99% of the time. Just enjoying a unique build which is cool. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  fay26 : (02 June 2017 - 09:45 PM) Where can I find VS Plate of Veteran B from Single Dungeons?
@  againzt : (18 October 2016 - 04:59 AM) why I cant create any topic?!
@  Zexika : (16 October 2016 - 06:54 PM) cant verify forums account? email not going through
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:20 AM) To lvl 2?
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:17 AM) How to upgrade guild
@  thepwai : (19 April 2016 - 10:38 PM) WTB FE Baphomet pet
@  TinyMiku : (16 April 2016 - 07:58 AM) Can anyone tell me the full name of the music or track number from Ragnarok Online that plays in Frinsy Entrance in RO:VU? Thanks!
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:21 PM) how to get the most common mercenary pet ?
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:19 PM) verify account .. cant log in :(
@  Panatkorn : (23 March 2016 - 12:15 PM) Buy zeny for real money Server Griffon payment will be via Paypal add me on Facebook Facebook.com/panatkorn
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:13 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv up than 10-2? I am an assin. In addition, though supforgetools are so rare, why there are so many +8 equips in auction?
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:11 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:23 PM) After 2014 the server was tottaly reseted and everybody lost everything
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:21 PM) Why i cant post here?
@  Kalizer : (19 February 2016 - 01:54 AM) i dont know my UUID cause i left the game in 2014, i reconnect yesterday and i lost my old characters, what can i do?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:54 PM) is this is a new one or they just update and improve the old version?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:53 PM) i do have some old account on the old valkyrie uprising path of heroes why when i open this valkyrie uprising path of heroes my char is gone?
@  Sloppy : (18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM) verify account problem should be fixed, i think..
@  Pancakemanz : (27 December 2015 - 02:36 AM) any idea why I can't use my mercs and the game freezes in the SD?
@  Drazzilb : (25 December 2015 - 04:36 PM) can't verify my account