• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

My build is real screwy. I don't use a 2H sword, but I do try to optimize Crit. (My Armor is +6 Crit/Flee). Lol

yeah I think it makes sense to put some points in STR, especially if you solo and stuff. When it comes to party dps though I think Wizard takes the cake by far, and swordsmans purpose is usually just to tank and soak up damage.

My swordy is like lv 27  and i have 15ish strength with the rest in vit, its like 60+.  With 115+ def I can solo VS mobs my level nonstop and I only get hit for like 25-50. HP Regen can keep me alive for quite a while before I have to potion. If  i didnt have as much VIT or a shield I'd be spamming potions non stop. 

Bash and FB do quite a bit of damage even if you dont have much strength.  Crit is really nice though, critical hits hurt   :lol:

• Timothymt likes this

#22 Guest_AkErU_*

Guest_AkErU_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I believe many people notice this already. Sword mastery increases the ASPD 2 each lvl. 

Wonder that works with 2 hands sword too?

I donot have 2 hands and I do not wanna buy it :P

#23 vk135

vk135

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I believe many people notice this already. Sword mastery increases the ASPD 2 each lvl. 

Wonder that works with 2 hands sword too?

I donot have 2 hands and I do not wanna buy it :P

the aspd doesn't go with 2H sword.
  • muchoboy likes this

Server: Poring
Characters: Violaire - Battle Priest ( Alfheim)

Selling Battle Priest items on Alfheim! http://valkyrieupris...ter/#entry31233

#24 Sniffles

Sniffles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

So i started out as a sword/shield 3:1 str:vit build (with some agi thrown in too) and was moving along smoothly. I don't know why people put in hp recovery first because, in active battle, potting>regen. The VERY FIRST thing I pumped all my points in was getting bash 10. Next was fatal 5. Once I hit 30, bash and fatal were doing around 500-700 each (1000-1500 per combo). True, I was a bit squishier than some of the other swordsmen, but, I was killing monsters a heck of a lot faster.

I kept seeing everyone doing full vit builds so I decided to try it. The plus side is I got a lot tankier. Mobs were no longer a problem as well as tanking bosses like vvvs orc hero and doppleganger. The down side? My bashes went from 500-700 to about 200-300. Considering I get 3-4 bash combos will a full sp bar, I burned through blues without seeing much result (but used significantly less orange). I would party level and tank large mobs, but, if a monster got away and aggro'd the aco or mage, I wasnt strong enough to kill it quickly enough to keep them alive many times. Needless to say, I switched back to str for the time being. Now I have 50 str, no longer any agi and I pump the rest in vit. I like these stats a lot better. I put Kukre cards (5% neutral resist) in my shield to offset the lack of vit.

My final thought on the matter is this: Eventually If you always plan on party leveling with a wizard and bossing at later levels, vit is gonna be the better option. If it's just you and an aco (like my aco wife and I), go str, at least until 2nd class. You may use a few more hp pots, but, you'll kill more quickly and efficiently. I like to level with battle manuals. As a vit build, I killed too slow and my manual would run out before I completed my kill counts, wasting it for the turn-in. I just don't want people to think they made the wrong decision if they decide not to go full vit. Both builds have their advantages.

#25 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I don't know about you, but rolling vit str on mimir and the toughest tank on that server atm. I'd say tank build is quite sufficient. Sure it takes a little longer to solo, but with the right defense things hurt you so little, regen about covers a good amount of the damage. This of course doesn't account for vvvs damage taken as those always require a few pots. Frankly if you wanted dps, you should have gone mage. At least that way you won't get hit by close aoe's and waste healer heals on you because your hp and defense is pretty much nothing. As long as you have decent defense tank build wasn't slow at all. I found it fairly sufficient well up to around 35 where it started slowing a bit because of needing more party instance groups. When normal mobs you farm hit you under 40 damage theres about no downtime. Grinding past the uneasy quests was a cakewalk since there was almost no need for rest and more so about never any need to waste any potions saving me more zeny to burn on compounding cards to try to get more 300 hp dark lord cards or trying to craft more vvvs gear for even more defense.

More so the original post was talking about a TANKER build aka with shield sword. Some people just enjoy 2 handers for pure damage which is in itself fine as well if they want to be glass melee. Which makes things annoying for acolytes because of how squishy they are in instances. So if you are talking about a 2 hander build specify. However for tanker builds, vit or vit str is the way to go. It would just be silly to use a shield sword and go high str. Both because, you lose a lot of damage if you aim for dps by using shield, and that a shield with mostly dps skills and stats won't give you much bonus to defense and subtract from your dps which is unadvisable.

The bigger issue as a melee in a party for healers is not really our pdef or neutral defense resist, but rather out mdef. Which is what half the time the mobs in mino instance cast. With low to no vit, you're just making things hard for your party and healer & tank for that matter by wasting extra heals on you. Mind you, sure you may survive one vvs or vvvs instance monster, but when you get swarmed by two or more by the poor monster pathing. Low vit won't survive two skill hits from those monsters. That more so is a problem especially if you have more than one swordsman at some point. Until a healer gets sanc, they are going to end up one target heal spamming which makes things tough for them in parties that way when more than one swordie gets instagib to almost 0 health by magic strikes.

Sure, you can pump up and max out bash and such early on. If you focus on that and ignore your passives or if you are a 2hander and don't need defense skills sure you may have decent skill points to throw around later on. If you're a tank however, you don't have that luxury as you need your shield passives for endure and mastery buff as well as some attack skills for the few times you may end up soloing. If you don't mind to buy reset capsules for later on then sure disregard all of that and do whatever you like, but if you party a lot. You don't need high melee damage. Just vit and good def gear to take any hits coming your way so your mages can nuke them all out. You would eventually need more than level 1 of provoke as well for aggro management and keep mob groups off your healer and mages in emergencies as well.

All in all, unless you plan to buy rests you may want vit or vit str. When you're about 40, most of the mobs you want to farm is in mino instance since mino exit has nothing past 33 which are horrid for exp. Having a tank setup benefits your party for that. Save your healer some mana potions big time by not being so squishy.

#26 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

yea this guide was like.. the first post on these forums that I quickly whipped up.\

I was basically trying to help out people who have no idea wahts going on. I see a ton of swordies sitting around waiting for health that didnt put any points into HP Regen. FB is a new skill to RO as well so I thought id point that one out because its very nice.

Personally I think HP regen is one of the most invaluable skills for swordsman, but apparently people like wasting tons of money on potions instead. its just personal preference. If you are a tank build, you can basically just get lots of VIT and HP Regen skill 10 and that should cover most of your HP regen needs until youre like level 25 or so. At that point you can still farm pretty good but obiously its better in a group.

and yeah, of course if you go 2H build its a totally different story. thats more of a solo / dps focused build. You're going to be taking lots more damage as a 2h build, but can put out more damaage. 

#27 Kabz

Kabz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

i currently am using  a 2h sowrd with pure vit build.. is that bad? should i go 1 hand when i get a skill reset when i change into a knight?

#28 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

i currently am using  a 2h sowrd with pure vit build.. is that bad? should i go 1 hand when i get a skill reset when i change into a knight?

nah it's not bad, just means you'll be doing less damage but you have more defense

#29 Kabz

Kabz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

Ok so when ot comes to vit build, which is better then? 1h or 2h?

#30 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Vit doesn't increase defense, just reduces damage taken and increases hp. Early on it seems mostly based on skill and gear. Your stat's wont affect you too much as the other two factors. But that wouldn't hurt to have vit 2hander since you will have more hp to take hits in parties, so even though you have no tank skills later on you will take damage alright.

#31 Sniffles

Sniffles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

I agree that vit will be a better end-game build for bossing and what not, but, for me, I couldn't stand it for my leveling sessions. That's why I said I'd recommend it at least until 2nd class (that's when wizards will be primary mob killers.) Let me say this though: I HAVE A PERSONAL ACO WITH ME AT ALL TIMES. My wife and I play this together and don't level without each other. Most of the time it's me and her without any mage. A solo player may have a different opinion on what works best for them. Losing out on some defense is not as a big a deal for me. I wasn't going to knock full vit until I tried it for myself and that's what I did. Comparing the 2 builds, I found that I like str build better. I'm not 3:1 like I was before. I currently have 50 str and 40 vit and find that it's a pretty good balance. Sword/shield is not a dumb choice for strength because having a shield offers a chance for more reduction cards not available to 2h users. If anything, I'd say sword/shield str builds are probably the perfect medium for damage and defense. As far as pots are concerned, I really only have to buy blues. With a full int aco always healing me, I rarely find myself having to pot for hp. I would have nothing to say on the matter if I didn't actually try both builds for myself, but, I paid for the resets and legitimately gave both an honest go. Perhaps if I had a strong mage/wizard friend to always party with me I wouldn't have experienced such a leveling slow down with full vit. I'm married and work full time so I don't have as much time to play as some other people. So, when I'm leveling, I try to make it count. I like battle manuals and full vit slowed me down significantly. Buying pots (including cash shop pots if I really need them) is of little significance to me. Like Sassy said, it's all a matter of personal preference.

#32 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

A balanced vit str setup seems pretty decent so far. If you get to knight think about trying 2hander instead if  your concerned with lvling and party with your aco at all times. Higher damage rage, faster, speed with 2h speed buff, plus 2hander has an extra small aoe. You could mob up enemies more and kill while health won't be an issue with having heals.

#33 PuppyPumper

PuppyPumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

A balanced vit str setup seems pretty decent so far. If you get to knight think about trying 2hander instead if  your concerned with lvling and party with your aco at all times. Higher damage rage, faster, speed with 2h speed buff, plus 2hander has an extra small aoe. You could mob up enemies more and kill while health won't be an issue with having heals.

Pure vit is fine as long as you have a great 200+ DMG 2 hand sword.

I think many people overlook the crit bonus on the 2 hand quickening skill. I sit at 37% crit and have double the atk speed I used to.

This skill really made my DPS skyrocket! That and having 4k hp, lets me tank multiple VVS mobs with ease.

#34 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think many people overlook the crit bonus on the 2 hand quickening skill. I sit at 37% crit and have double the atk speed I used to.

This skill really made my DPS skyrocket! That and having 4k hp, lets me tank multiple VVS mobs with ease.

2 hand quicken is the shiiit  :wub:  

#35 jeffuliii

jeffuliii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Where do you buy better hp pots from? I am only finding those 105hp orange ones in the shop.

Kind of wishing I went 2h now! Thought I'd stick to my 1h/shield vit combo but to be honest, no one really talks in this game! :-(

I did run into a Valkyrie member though yesterday who was pretty nice.

#36 vk135

vk135

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Where do you buy better hp pots from? I am only finding those 105hp orange ones in the shop.

Kind of wishing I went 2h now! Thought I'd stick to my 1h/shield vit combo but to be honest, no one really talks in this game! :-(

I did run into a Valkyrie member though yesterday who was pretty nice.

Sadly the higher pots are only available through cooking which atm has its ingredients bugged, unable to be purchased. :(

Server: Poring
Characters: Violaire - Battle Priest ( Alfheim)

Selling Battle Priest items on Alfheim! http://valkyrieupris...ter/#entry31233

#37 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Sadly the higher pots are only available through cooking which atm has its ingredients bugged, unable to be purchased. :(

Or you could buy them with rubies which is not too bad and quite helpful for the instance runs. 11 rubies which is about a dollar gets u a box of 60 800hp potions. That should last quite a while, unless you are really glassy or your healer isn't doing their job.

#38 PuppyPumper

PuppyPumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Or you could get lifesteal. at 2% I get between 8-15 hp healed per hit. I plan to increase this more shortly.

It is really a necessity for VIT knights. The HP leach lets your aco conserve pots as well as yourself. It also assists by allowing you to not have to sit during normal grinding.

#39 Jinkoneko

Jinkoneko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Or you could get lifesteal. at 2% I get between 8-15 hp healed per hit. I plan to increase this more shortly.

It is really a necessity for VIT knights. The HP leach lets your aco conserve pots as well as yourself. It also assists by allowing you to not have to sit during normal grinding.

I have about 207 and soon to be more defense with shield buff as a tank with about 4k hp as knight right now. I have to say, most things at this point outside dungeons won't lower your hp at all. Lifesteal 10-20 hp is negligible for the big stuff in instances. Baphomet Elite and vvvs orc commanders and such will be hitting you for 300-900 even with high defense and magic defense. What I'm saying is unless you're soloing easy mobs outside the dungeons, don't get caught up on stacking life steal thinking it will suffice for a bonus to small potions vs the big stuff. It's marginal recovery when your healer is healing you for 700-1000 hp a heal and your taking that much a hit almost from the bosses.

If you get armor and gear good enough to boost up your defense to around 150, most things outside the dungeons for normal grind won't dip your hp at all past your passive regens. With the exception of a few like mukas with their magic attacks now and then.

#40 Sloppy

Sloppy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

I have about 207 and soon to be more defense with shield buff as a tank with about 4k hp as knight right now. I have to say, most things at this point outside dungeons won't lower your hp at all. Lifesteal 10-20 hp is negligible for the big stuff in instances. Baphomet Elite and vvvs orc commanders and such will be hitting you for 300-900 even with high defense and magic defense. What I'm saying is unless you're soloing easy mobs outside the dungeons, don't get caught up on stacking life steal thinking it will suffice for a bonus to small potions vs the big stuff. It's marginal recovery when your healer is healing you for 700-1000 hp a heal and your taking that much a hit almost from the bosses.

If you get armor and gear good enough to boost up your defense to around 150, most things outside the dungeons for normal grind won't dip your hp at all past your passive regens. With the exception of a few like mukas with their magic attacks now and then.

Puppy solos all dayyyy err dayyy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  fay26 : (02 June 2017 - 09:45 PM) Where can I find VS Plate of Veteran B from Single Dungeons?
@  againzt : (18 October 2016 - 04:59 AM) why I cant create any topic?!
@  Zexika : (16 October 2016 - 06:54 PM) cant verify forums account? email not going through
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:20 AM) To lvl 2?
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:17 AM) How to upgrade guild
@  thepwai : (19 April 2016 - 10:38 PM) WTB FE Baphomet pet
@  TinyMiku : (16 April 2016 - 07:58 AM) Can anyone tell me the full name of the music or track number from Ragnarok Online that plays in Frinsy Entrance in RO:VU? Thanks!
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:21 PM) how to get the most common mercenary pet ?
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:19 PM) verify account .. cant log in :(
@  Panatkorn : (23 March 2016 - 12:15 PM) Buy zeny for real money Server Griffon payment will be via Paypal add me on Facebook Facebook.com/panatkorn
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:13 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv up than 10-2? I am an assin. In addition, though supforgetools are so rare, why there are so many +8 equips in auction?
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:11 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:23 PM) After 2014 the server was tottaly reseted and everybody lost everything
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:21 PM) Why i cant post here?
@  Kalizer : (19 February 2016 - 01:54 AM) i dont know my UUID cause i left the game in 2014, i reconnect yesterday and i lost my old characters, what can i do?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:54 PM) is this is a new one or they just update and improve the old version?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:53 PM) i do have some old account on the old valkyrie uprising path of heroes why when i open this valkyrie uprising path of heroes my char is gone?
@  Sloppy : (18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM) verify account problem should be fixed, i think..
@  Pancakemanz : (27 December 2015 - 02:36 AM) any idea why I can't use my mercs and the game freezes in the SD?
@  Drazzilb : (25 December 2015 - 04:36 PM) can't verify my account