68 replies to this topic

#1 RedPriestess

RedPriestess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Okay, so you have two mercs and pretty much those are the ones you also use for your dungeon grind and stuff. Your primary objective is to boost them as soon as possible, sacrificing other mercs and using all the porings you got from gold chests, draws and missions. So now you got, say, two level 75/99 mercs and when you go to battle, you find it easy to win especially if you're just battling with low level mercenaries. But then, you suddenly find yourself an opponent with strong mercenaries and with the first battle, you lost. What do you do?

If you're not much of a hardcore when it comes to mercs, you'll just go with it and hope that you won't battle any more of those strong mercenaries. Your win-loss record don't matter much. But if you are concerned with your mercenary ranking, it's a big hurdle you need to address. What to do if the opponent got the upper hand??

1. Recognize other mercenaries - it's not enough you know your mercenaries. it's essential to also gauge what the opponent's mercenaries can do. You can look at this helpful link for more info about the mercenaries: MaxHP, def, matk, atk, mdef, aspd etc.

http://valkyrieupris...ith-skill-info/

2. Switch it up! - Okay, so you lost your first battle with a particular opponent. If you lost by a huge margin, will you try again hoping that you will win? NO! Coz you'll just lose again. It's not like your mercenaries will suddenly get stronger the 2nd time around. Do something about it. If you're paying attention to the battle, you could may be try to switch the position of your mercenaries, see if there will be a significant change. I always use this technique if I find myself losing the battle. And it works most of the time because sometimes, an opponent's mercenaries may be strong against yours but a switch on your end may do the trick and suddenly you're winning. 

3. The more the merrier - Don't get too complacent with how good your current mercenaries are in the battle. It is best to have options. So continue on gaining and compounding mercenaries, leveling different kinds of mercenaries. Find the right tandem to battle particular opponents. When you find yourself at the top of the rank, it is much easier to determine your opponents' tactics as you have battled them before, unless they introduce something new, in which case you would be ready as you have already developed some mercs to counter new breeds. 

4. Level up the skills! - We can level the mercenary skills up until Level 3. If you got the same mercenaries as to that your battling with, its the skills that will win you the match (and a bit of luck). Don't just sacrifice mercs randomly for any of your favored ones. Look at their skills and see if you can use them to level up some of your reserved mercs' skill.

I got awarded 210 rubies last month for placing top in the mercenary ranking. I'm not really sure if that's really for that particular feat I achieved but my guildie reckons its for that so I'm quite happy.

*Btw, i think you can only battle players within 50 points of your LP. So if you got 1500 LP, you'll likely battle those within 1450-1550 LP range. 

Cheers!

• rubiperl, Timothymt, Russelpa and 4 others like this

"Get it together" - Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga

#2 Plastoots

Plastoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Great tips! And congrats on winning those rubies. No1
  • RedPriestess likes this

#3 Eisbrecher

Eisbrecher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

And if You are number one in ranking You cant fight another battle, had to wait that someone defeats You gg

#4 Atheneo

Atheneo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Great information!!! :)

To add, note also that the 1st mercenary (left most) cast the spells more quickly than the 2nd one.

This could be a bug or just how the game goes.

I put Ifrit on left most slot (1st merce) then Abys Knight on 2nd merce slot.

Attack speed per se ---> Abys > Ifrit

Abys' rage gauge has been full but haven't casted the skills.

It only casted its first skill when Ifrit is about to cast the 2nd skill. -- this is troublesome!!!  (use your tactics here! :ph34r:)

(Missed attack has been taken into account in this scenario)

Last, there are also mercenaries that helps you to fill up the rage counters ;) -- one is Jirtas.

Hope this helps. :)

#5 PROdps

PROdps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

How to level up skills aside from using poringring?

#6 RedPriestess

RedPriestess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

How to level up skills aside from using poringring?

Use mercenaries with the same skill as your sacrifice. This will give you the chance to level up your merc. It's also just a chance success unlike what poringring does.

#7 RedPriestess

RedPriestess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

Great information!!! :)

To add, note also that the 1st mercenary (left most) cast the spells more quickly than the 2nd one.

This could be a bug or just how the game goes.

I put Ifrit on left most slot (1st merce) then Abys Knight on 2nd merce slot.

Attack speed per se ---> Abys > Ifrit

Abys' rage gauge has been full but haven't casted the skills.

It only casted its first skill when Ifrit is about to cast the 2nd skill. -- this is troublesome!!!  (use your tactics here! :ph34r:)

(Missed attack has been taken into account in this scenario)

Last, there are also mercenaries that helps you to fill up the rage counters ;) -- one is Jirtas.

Hope this helps. :)

yep,  i noticed this too. I always thought ifrit will be much quicker to cast skills compared to happy bapho but during battle, there is always a time lag when it cast skills. i get frustrated sometimes because ifrit is such a softie that it dies before it could cast its skill even though its rage counter has been full for a good second or two. zzz

#8 Atheneo

Atheneo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

I will write a ticket for this to confirm.

This is also bothering me.. :(

#9 PROdps

PROdps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Use mercenaries with the same skill as your sacrifice. This will give you the chance to level up your merc. It's also just a chance success unlike what poringring does.

Ohh thats why, i did this before and thought it isnt working. So if its shockwaveIII, its already max right?

#10 Plastoots

Plastoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Prodps- notice that skills read "Lv 3. Shockwave III" so the part that says "Lv3" is our indicator of the max skill. :) Not the roman numerals following the skill-name. The roman numerals are variations of the skill itself and something that we cannot change.

So you may encounter highlevel mercenaries with a "shockwave II" or shockwave I" and lowlevels with "shockwave III" because these roman numerals are not the actual level of the skill.

It goes without saying that in order to have increased chances of leveling the skills, we need to make sure that the mercenary we sacrifice has the same roman numeral and not just the skill name.

#11 Haerum

Haerum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Step 1: spend 100$ to get uber ss mercenaries  <_<

• Yrsil likes this

#12 Plastoots

Plastoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Step 1: spend 100$ to get uber ss mercenaries <_<

Or more. ROVU loves to troll. LOL
  • Yrsil likes this

#13 RedPriestess

RedPriestess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Ohh thats why, i did this before and thought it isnt working. So if its shockwaveIII, its already max right?

hi pro, 

Prodps- notice that skills read "Lv 3. Shockwave III" so the part that says "Lv3" is our indicator of the max skill. :) Not the roman numerals following the skill-name. The roman numerals are variations of the skill itself and something that we cannot change.

So you may encounter highlevel mercenaries with a "shockwave II" or shockwave I" and lowlevels with "shockwave III" because these roman numerals are not the actual level of the skill.

It goes without saying that in order to have increased chances of leveling the skills, we need to make sure that the mercenary we sacrifice has the same roman numeral and not just the skill name.

as what plastoots said. i was under the impression that you guys know that the skill level is displayed on the upper left part of the mercenary card. But yeah, shockwaveI is completely different to shockwaveII etc. These are two different skills. Cheers

#14 HarrieAlexis

HarrieAlexis

Carnage

• Administrators
  • 1104 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Great guide as always Red!

Moved from General discussion to Strategy and Tactics  ;)

#15 Atheneo

Atheneo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Add:

Though this is a far shot, if in any case you acquire an R4 mercenary that could have been a great mercenary if it was an SS, try to keep it.

Level it once in a while.. kROVU has launch an update as to "mercenary evolution".

Details on kROVU site.

#16 Huy99

Huy99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationAlfheim / Tampa, FL

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Okay, so you have two mercs and pretty much those are the ones you also use for your dungeon grind and stuff. Your primary objective is to boost them as soon as possible, sacrificing other mercs and using all the porings you got from gold chests, draws and missions. So now you got, say, two level 75/99 mercs and when you go to battle, you find it easy to win especially if you're just battling with low level mercenaries. But then, you suddenly find yourself an opponent with strong mercenaries and with the first battle, you lost. What do you do?

If you're not much of a hardcore when it comes to mercs, you'll just go with it and hope that you won't battle any more of those strong mercenaries. Your win-loss record don't matter much. But if you are concerned with your mercenary ranking, it's a big hurdle you need to address. What to do if the opponent got the upper hand??

1. Recognize other mercenaries - it's not enough you know your mercenaries. it's essential to also gauge what the opponent's mercenaries can do. You can look at this helpful link for more info about the mercenaries: MaxHP, def, matk, atk, mdef, aspd etc.

http://valkyrieupris...ith-skill-info/

2. Switch it up! - Okay, so you lost your first battle with a particular opponent. If you lost by a huge margin, will you try again hoping that you will win? NO! Coz you'll just lose again. It's not like your mercenaries will suddenly get stronger the 2nd time around. Do something about it. If you're paying attention to the battle, you could may be try to switch the position of your mercenaries, see if there will be a significant change. I always use this technique if I find myself losing the battle. And it works most of the time because sometimes, an opponent's mercenaries may be strong against yours but a switch on your end may do the trick and suddenly you're winning. 

3. The more the merrier - Don't get too complacent with how good your current mercenaries are in the battle. It is best to have options. So continue on gaining and compounding mercenaries, leveling different kinds of mercenaries. Find the right tandem to battle particular opponents. When you find yourself at the top of the rank, it is much easier to determine your opponents' tactics as you have battled them before, unless they introduce something new, in which case you would be ready as you have already developed some mercs to counter new breeds. 

4. Level up the skills! - We can level the mercenary skills up until Level 3. If you got the same mercenaries as to that your battling with, its the skills that will win you the match (and a bit of luck). Don't just sacrifice mercs randomly for any of your favored ones. Look at their skills and see if you can use them to level up some of your reserved mercs' skill.

I got awarded 210 rubies last month for placing top in the mercenary ranking. I'm not really sure if that's really for that particular feat I achieved but my guildie reckons its for that so I'm quite happy.

*Btw, i think you can only battle players within 50 points of your LP. So if you got 1500 LP, you'll likely battle those within 1450-1550 LP range. 

Cheers!

Thank you for the excellent tips!  I am guilty of being complacent with my R4 mercs (who rocked early on), and recently I have been getting very frustrated with my win percentage and struggling to stay in the top rankings for the weekly and monthly rewards.  Sure, the sudden influx of R4 mercs everywhere has a lot to do with it, but I needed to adapt to keep up with the competition.

I didn't understand leveling up the skills at first, so I ignored it for the longest time.  One important thing to note is that when you're using another same skilled merc to go from skill level 1 to 2, it's pretty much a guarantee (but not 100%).  Now going from level 2 to 3 is a different story...no success yet.  I've never gotten a poringring yet either.  Not really sure where the odds are.  Golden drawing and gold chest in 7-x and 8-x dungeons?

#17 taboo101

taboo101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

^ From the many times I tried Golden drawings (maybe a total of 100 draws already since it started), I got a total of three poringrings.

#18 RedPriestess

RedPriestess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Add:
Though this is a far shot, if in any case you acquire an R4 mercenary that could have been a great mercenary if it was an SS, try to keep it.
Level it once in a while.. kROVU has launch an update as to "mercenary evolution".
Details on kROVU site.

Great tip! Let's keep our r4s for now for this possible upcoming update. I'm sure we still have room in our merc inventory to gather these r4s for future use. Don't be too impatient and use your extra ones as sacrificial lambs. Its better to stick w/ the occasional porings and r1-r2s as your leveling materials.

#19 skuddy

skuddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Also, I have completed the 30 battles every day that I could. If another mercenary is using a skill no other mercenaries will cast their skill during that time. So if you have 2 mercs who basically spam skills very rapidly there's a higher success rate than other mercs with slow skills. For instance, kyubo7 on alfheim has ifrit and bapho (I think. I'm for sure on ifrit) ifrit casts its skill very quickly. So I am unable to get a skill off before it casts. If I'm lucky my heavenly golem will heal between the ifrit and the bapho using skill. But bapho is also very quick. Giving a HUGE advantage during mercenary battle. If anyone else notices this please confirm because it is driving me nuts. Also puts those 2x impenetrable defense couples ahead of the game.

#20 Plastoots

Plastoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

I notice that, too... And... What ticks me off is when I have two of my mercs' SP bar full yet NONE OF THEM even bother to use the skill, where as my opponent already casted two.

No exaggeration. Sob. I'm like, "Well? What now?! Don't just stand there! Use the skill!!!!!"
  • skuddy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  againzt : (18 October 2016 - 04:59 AM) why I cant create any topic?!
@  Zexika : (16 October 2016 - 06:54 PM) cant verify forums account? email not going through
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:20 AM) To lvl 2?
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:17 AM) How to upgrade guild
@  thepwai : (19 April 2016 - 10:38 PM) WTB FE Baphomet pet
@  TinyMiku : (16 April 2016 - 07:58 AM) Can anyone tell me the full name of the music or track number from Ragnarok Online that plays in Frinsy Entrance in RO:VU? Thanks!
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:21 PM) how to get the most common mercenary pet ?
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:19 PM) verify account .. cant log in :(
@  Panatkorn : (23 March 2016 - 12:15 PM) Buy zeny for real money Server Griffon payment will be via Paypal add me on Facebook Facebook.com/panatkorn
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:13 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv up than 10-2? I am an assin. In addition, though supforgetools are so rare, why there are so many +8 equips in auction?
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:11 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:23 PM) After 2014 the server was tottaly reseted and everybody lost everything
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:21 PM) Why i cant post here?
@  Kalizer : (19 February 2016 - 01:54 AM) i dont know my UUID cause i left the game in 2014, i reconnect yesterday and i lost my old characters, what can i do?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:54 PM) is this is a new one or they just update and improve the old version?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:53 PM) i do have some old account on the old valkyrie uprising path of heroes why when i open this valkyrie uprising path of heroes my char is gone?
@  Sloppy : (18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM) verify account problem should be fixed, i think..
@  Pancakemanz : (27 December 2015 - 02:36 AM) any idea why I can't use my mercs and the game freezes in the SD?
@  Drazzilb : (25 December 2015 - 04:36 PM) can't verify my account
@  mobimobi69 : (18 December 2015 - 06:40 AM) guys i have an old account