#1 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

This forum is an all-inclusive guide to everything mage. Let me start out by saying that mage is a very hard class to pull off and requires patience, just because you will spend a lot of time sitting and recovering SP.

PvM (Player vs. Monster) Strategies

Hit and Run: This is your PRIME mage strategy, learn it, master it, love it. You'll learn past lvl. 10 that all of the magic skills you use all have a waiting time after they are used until you can use them again. So what you do is run until the enemy is in one of the corners of the screen, cast your spell, keep running (all while keeping the enemy on screen), then when your spell recovers, repeat. 

YOU CAN CAST WHILE WALKING! and mages should abuse it! I saw so many mages who get hit a lot by foes.

here how to:

1) target something, and hit the spell you want to cast!

2) immediatly after you hit the spell button you can move in one direction (just hold the pad in 1 direction) ! 

3) unfortunately you can't change direction (that would be a lil too OP) and if you stop walking you can't move anymore. still with this simple trick you barely get hit by foes even on aggro maps like the one with flora and bears, or with foes you need more than 1 hit to kill. Also for some reason foes get "tricked". It seems they have troubles following you if you do this trick.

Tip courtesy of soba.

Cast and Hit: This can be done and I've seen it done very well but it is generally only done when your magic skills are limited. This build requires str, agi, and vit (or lots of potions). Basically start with a spell, start hitting the enemy, cast when your spell is available again, hit more, repeat. Not recommended but doable if SP recovery annoys you.

Mage Stats

STR: There is no use for str. Besides early levels when you need to hit enemies, this has no purpose.

AGI: There is no use for agi besides flee. Flee is the chance that enemies may not hit as hard. If you are bad at the hit and run battle strategy you may want to consider building it, otherwise, no.

VIT: If you are a hit and run mage, I would say build very little VIT at all (maybe a total of 20 pts by the time you are max lvl). Have some cards that will add to your HP (shoes or headgear cards) but other than that, just always carry potions. ;D

INT: If you aren't building this up, you should just stop now and go home. This increases your SP and MATK, your two home spots. Your goal as mage: this should be as high as possible.

SPR: This builds your MDEF (something you need considering if you use hit and run, this is the only way enemies will hit you) and your SP recovery. I recommend building this at least slightly (around 30-40 once max level). If you wish to not put a lot of points into this, I at least recommend you get MDEF cards and level up your SP recovery skill. They are both vital to a mage.

Mage Skills

2yl5wle.png

This is the Mage skill tree. Before you do anything, make sure you are educated in the effect of elementals. A guide is here: http://valkyrieupris...lemental-guide/

There are a few questions that arise when skill building:

What element should I build first?

After doing a count on the beginning quest monsters up until level 20 I found that the majority goes: Wind, Earth, and Water. Meaning that the most used elemental spells go in order from most used to least: Earth, Fire, and Wind. So really, Earth is the one most recommended but really, pick your poison. My words of advice though, is always build a neutral skill (Napalm Beat).

Should I upgrade my bolts?

Well here's the deal. You need at least 3+ upgrade bolts to unlock advanced mage skills as a wizard (soul strike, storm gust, meteor storm, storm gust, and heaven's drive) and I doubt you want to spend wizard job points upgrading your bolts. But do remember that you get a skill reset upon becoming a wizard. So my best advice is either upgrade one bolt to 10 (preferably fire bolt) or upgrade two bolts and always have an element advantage. The choice is yours.

How non-bolt elemental atks, safety wall, and energy coat?

None of the extra element skills have much potential except fire wall, it is something you may want to consider. It is nice because it does a few hits to an enemy coming at you but I imagine it might be weird in this RO version because sometimes they run away from YOU. Safety wall is nice if you are a cast and hit guild, not a hit and run build. It lends you protection in a one cell space but you can't move from that space. However if WoE is ever implemented, it is definitely worth looking into. Energy coat does help a bit but like I said before if you are doing hit and run it doesn't matter much, sometimes it is nice to have something to fall back on though.

Where can I farm staff runes?

So far, here is some confirmed monsters that drop green staffs.

Staff: VS Poringring lvl. 9

Hypnotist's Staff: Smoke Spore lvl. 15

Destruction Rod: Muka lvl. 28

Mighty Staff: VS Thorn Muka lvl. 32

Yggdrasil: VVS Thorn Muka lvl. 33

Mage Equips

If you are a pc RO veteran I'm sure one of the FIRST things you are freaking out about is armor (that was all me too). However I will tell you that in this game the armor you should aim for is the highest level req you can get of the rune crafts. The rune made armor/weapons is by far the best in the game and since you have little choice, always aim for VVVS of all of your equips.

Card Options

Since you can few equip options and cards are so easy for you to obtain, there is no reason you should be without good cards in your equips. Here are some of my own recommendations and help about common card questions.

Armor:

Forest Golem Card: def +1-3, at this point in the game, this is the most vital card to any build. I even got 3, rank 3 in my own armor. This is a highly recommended card.

Weapon:

Blood Ivy Card: MATK +1-3, if I were to ever have a love affair with a card, it would be this one. Load your baby up with these and forget any cards that give you extra damage on enemies. Because in case you were wondering, this doesn't power up your magic spells, just your damage towards them.

Elemental Cards: This is still under a set of testing, but an elemental card boosts your damage against the ENEMY not your attack. So for instance, you have a 3% boost for earth and you are fighting an earth monster, your damage towards them will go up. Not the damage of your Earth Spike.

Headgear and Shoes:

I'm not real specific with these because all of your options either increase HP or SP. Like I said, at least have +200 HP in some form because you will have little to none but if you insist on some SP help, go ahead.

Manteau:

At this current point in time, there are no cards I've found that are particularly helpful towards mage. My only recommendation is the Quve Card which boosts flee. Flee is your chance of having an enemy miss, so it /kind of/ increases your defense.

Leveling Help

So here's the deal. Until about 25-28, you should be following the quests religiously. When you hit around these levels, you'll see that you kind of hit a speed bump. You'll find that all of the monsters you kill, for it to work best, have to be slow moving monsters. But Kotbias, VS Kotbias, and VS Scorpions are extremely fast walking and hard hitters. My advice for you is just to train on VS Thorn Mukas until you hit 31. Make sure you've got a good fire bolt behind you and grind away. I promise that once you past that hill though, more quests open up and it isn't so bad anymore.

Conclusion

Still have burning questions about your mage build? As you can tell, it's not rocket science. People are encouraged to post information they find relevant or contradictory to the information I have presented here.

• vk135, Timothymt and Inteniaeffori like this
Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage
Wasteland - Lv. 0x Acolyte
Neverland - Lv. 1x Swordsman

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Universe - Lv. 0x Swordsman
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#2 baboyakouno

baboyakouno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks! ^_^

#3 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the guide Wonderland.  =3

I'm pure firebolt build atm, 10 points into improve firebolt, level 5 firebolt, and level 10 sp recovery.  I'm doing thorn mukas up until level 40 I suppose lol.  I kill them in 2 level 5 firebolts.  Upgrade firebolt gives me an extra 50% damage.  I wouldn't suggest anyone doing something like that unless you can skill reset though lol >_>

Posted Image

I lol at the slow moving people on Pecos, as I zooooooom by two times faster while looking fabulous.

#4 baboyakouno

baboyakouno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I dont trust your prof pic...lols
  • baboyakouno likes this

#5 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

I dont trust your prof pic...lols

Hay baby  :wub:

Posted Image

I lol at the slow moving people on Pecos, as I zooooooom by two times faster while looking fabulous.

#6 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the guide Wonderland.  =3

I'm pure firebolt build atm, 10 points into improve firebolt, level 5 firebolt, and level 10 sp recovery.  I'm doing thorn mukas up until level 40 I suppose lol.  I kill them in 2 level 5 firebolts.  Upgrade firebolt gives me an extra 50% damage.  I wouldn't suggest anyone doing something like that unless you can skill reset though lol >_>

Yeah I mean having a big hitter is a luxury but still, I always recommend at least two bolts. I'm more of a have two really strong ones though than always an advantage. Although I'm at the point where I'm getting the chance to build up a third bolt so that is exciting.

Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#7 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yeah I mean having a big hitter is a luxury but still, I always recommend at least two bolts. I'm more of a have two really strong ones though than always an advantage. Although I'm at the point where I'm getting the chance to build up a third bolt so that is exciting.

Yeah that's good xD  I'm probably going to respec when i get near wizard or something and just get more bolts.  It sucks just having one, but I'd end up having to use 3 bolt spells instead of just two while leveling and it would drain my SP and I'm always poor ;_;

Posted Image

#8 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yeah that's good xD  I'm probably going to respec when i get near wizard or something and just get more bolts.  It sucks just having one, but I'd end up having to use 3 bolt spells instead of just two while leveling and it would drain my SP and I'm always poor ;_;

Of course I'm ALWAYS poor. There is no saving zeny when you're a mage. ):

Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#9 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Of course I'm ALWAYS poor. There is no saving zeny when you're a mage. ):

Well i finally started getting money again from killing vs thorny...mukas ;;  13k - 50k in just 50 blue potions used

Posted Image

#10 CovertJustice

CovertJustice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Same here...I don't think I ever pocketed more than 5k when I was below level 30 lol

Poring:
Penguin - Wizard

#11 prolifik

prolifik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

So besides bolts/napalm, upgrade, and sp recovery.  Are there any other skills worth getting? 

Everything else seems like a waste of SP.  LIke why spend time casting 3 frost drivers/quagemires just for the chance of them happening when you can kill them in 2-3 bolts.

Has someone tried thunderstorm, satefy wall, and energy coat?  I think those skills have potential.

Thunderstorm is the only AoE that mages that doesn't have no chance sucess rate.

• bgar47 likes this

#12 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

So besides bolts/napalm, upgrade, and sp recovery.  Are there any other skills worth getting? 

Everything else seems like a waste of SP.  LIke why spend time casting 3 frost drivers/quagemires just for the chance of them happening when you can kill them in 2-3 bolts.

Has someone tried thunderstorm, satefy wall, and energy coat?  I think those skills have potential.

Thunderstorm is the only AoE that mages that doesn't have no chance sucess rate.

None of the extra element skills have much potential except fire wall, it is something you may want to consider. It is nice because it does a few hits to an enemy coming at you but I imagine it might be weird in this RO version because sometimes they run away from YOU. Safety wall is nice if you are a cast and hit guild, not a hit and run build. It lends you protection in a one cell space but you can't move from that space. However if WoE is ever implemented, it is definitely worth looking into. Energy coat does help a bit but like I said before if you are doing hit and run it doesn't matter much, sometimes it is nice to have something to fall back on though.

Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#13 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

lol if woe is ever implemented, it'll be hilariously fun

Posted Image

#14 Derp

Derp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

I love being higher level.  I now have 200k lol ;;  AoEing is gonna be so badass.

Posted Image

#15 Willbender

Willbender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Awesome guide! Just wondering if you have any idea on how to earn runes faster. Do you know which monsters drop rank 2 staves?

#16 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Awesome guide! Just wondering if you have any idea on how to earn runes faster. Do you know which monsters drop rank 2 staves?

I'll start taking some monsters inventory for you, but I've noticed I get a lot of rank 2 drops from monsters in Khoa Khoa or Mino Mano.

Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#17 Willbender

Willbender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

I'll start taking some monsters inventory for you, but I've noticed I get a lot of rank 2 drops from monsters in Khoa Khoa or Mino Mano.

I'd appreciate that! A little help for those who will encounter this question. Yesterday, I found out that regular Mukas drop Destructive Rods(Rank 2) which is used to produce Magic Rune Grade 1. 

#18 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I'd appreciate that! A little help for those who will encounter this question. Yesterday, I found out that regular Mukas drop Destructive Rods(Rank 2) which is used to produce Magic Rune Grade 1. 

Got a chance to take some inventory and the guide is all updated now. :)

• gunbound77 likes this
Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

#19 soba

soba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

so i made a mage just to try it out for 1 day, reached lvl 25 it was fun at first...was levelling like super fast, 1 shotting almost everything...but then i found out you're stucked with those 60 sp potions since there's no way to obtain more advanced ones. 

It just feels too retarted to spamm those lil potions, like popping one up after every single bolt.

btw for all the mages around level 28...! the best staff excluding vvs/vvvs is by far Yggdrasil (highest version i think). I got it from doppelganger, and its waaaayyy better than the vs staff you can craft around that level. Maybe ill post the stats later if anyone wants to know, but imo one should just farm or buy that staff unless you're a gambler and are waiting for vvs/vvvs.

one more thing you might wanna add in your guide. It's something really basic probably most figure it out immedialy but for those who don't:

YOU CAN CAST WHILE WALKING! and mages should abuse it! I saw so many mages who get hit a lot by foes.

here how to:

2) immediatly after you hit the spell button you can move in one direction (just hold the pad in 1 direction) ! 

3) unfortunately you can't change direction (that would be a lil too OP) and if you stop walking you can't move anymore. still with this simple trick you barely get hit by foes even on aggro maps like the one with flora and bears, or with foes you need more than 1 hit to kill. Also for some reason foes get "tricked". It seems they have troubles following you if you do this trick.

i think every mage should master this lil trick. If you just run and cast run and cast, you're bound to get hit considering the range of your bolts. So learn how to run while casting!

ign: soba

class: Priest 

level: 48

guild: BOSS

server: Mimir

#20 Wonderland

Wonderland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

so i made a mage just to try it out for 1 day, reached lvl 25 it was fun at first...was levelling like super fast, 1 shotting almost everything...but then i found out you're stucked with those 60 sp potions since there's no way to obtain more advanced ones. 

It just feels too retarted to spamm those lil potions, like popping one up after every single bolt.

btw for all the mages around level 28...! the best staff excluding vvs/vvvs is by far Yggdrasil (highest version i think). I got it from doppelganger, and its waaaayyy better than the vs staff you can craft around that level. Maybe ill post the stats later if anyone wants to know, but imo one should just farm or buy that staff unless you're a gambler and are waiting for vvs/vvvs.

one more thing you might wanna add in your guide. It's something really basic probably most figure it out immedialy but for those who don't:

here how to:

i think every mage should master this lil trick. If you just run and cast run and cast, you're bound to get hit considering the range of your bolts. So learn how to run while casting!

Added your tip to the guide. ^^ 

Poring Server:
Wonderland - Lv. 3x Mage

Mimir Server:
Solara - Lv. 1x Acolyte
Galaxies - Lv. 0x Mage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  fay26 : (02 June 2017 - 09:45 PM) Where can I find VS Plate of Veteran B from Single Dungeons?
@  againzt : (18 October 2016 - 04:59 AM) why I cant create any topic?!
@  Zexika : (16 October 2016 - 06:54 PM) cant verify forums account? email not going through
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:20 AM) To lvl 2?
@  Randy1981 : (15 August 2016 - 03:17 AM) How to upgrade guild
@  thepwai : (19 April 2016 - 10:38 PM) WTB FE Baphomet pet
@  TinyMiku : (16 April 2016 - 07:58 AM) Can anyone tell me the full name of the music or track number from Ragnarok Online that plays in Frinsy Entrance in RO:VU? Thanks!
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:21 PM) how to get the most common mercenary pet ?
@  shilva00 : (27 March 2016 - 05:19 PM) verify account .. cant log in :(
@  Panatkorn : (23 March 2016 - 12:15 PM) Buy zeny for real money Server Griffon payment will be via Paypal add me on Facebook Facebook.com/panatkorn
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:13 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv up than 10-2? I am an assin. In addition, though supforgetools are so rare, why there are so many +8 equips in auction?
@  fffjianbin : (16 March 2016 - 04:11 PM) I can only post here. Anyone knows which SD is better lv
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:23 PM) After 2014 the server was tottaly reseted and everybody lost everything
@  Joao.Cavalcante : (22 February 2016 - 11:21 PM) Why i cant post here?
@  Kalizer : (19 February 2016 - 01:54 AM) i dont know my UUID cause i left the game in 2014, i reconnect yesterday and i lost my old characters, what can i do?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:54 PM) is this is a new one or they just update and improve the old version?
@  duduthz : (16 February 2016 - 03:53 PM) i do have some old account on the old valkyrie uprising path of heroes why when i open this valkyrie uprising path of heroes my char is gone?
@  Sloppy : (18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM) verify account problem should be fixed, i think..
@  Pancakemanz : (27 December 2015 - 02:36 AM) any idea why I can't use my mercs and the game freezes in the SD?
@  Drazzilb : (25 December 2015 - 04:36 PM) can't verify my account